my family (mother list)

Michaël - SYSt michael at syst.nl
Mon Dec 8 05:47:03 PST 2003

Dear Marei,

Thank you for sharing your experiences in your posting.

You wrote:

Coming back to what Tova wrote (...multi focused... is felt, at least by
some... as an 'energy leakage'):

This man, being 60+-years old, said he found out that open space isn't for
him and that he is hoping he will never have to participate in one anymore.
First I thought he was not open enough (like "how limited"). Writing and
thinking about it I become less demanding. I realize how judging I have
been. Now I understand it may just have been to much for him... or to fast.
And I wonder if there is any chance to make it easier for people to SLOWLY
get in touch? I guess he may have been overtaxed - coming to the
food-metaphor: as I sometimes feel overtaxed going to the market with all
the fresh vegetable and fruits and decisions to make - there are times when
I prefer a small supermarket with only a small assortement.

Up till now, in every Open Space (except for OSonOS) I participated or
facilitated, there is someone who doesn’t like the situation.

I too, felt that it should’nt be and I asked myself: what has gone wrong? or
something like that.

But now it seems to me quite a normal part of an Open Space. Of course, when
someone tells me he’s not happy with this way of gathering, I am always
touched, but what I have learned is to keep Space open for myself and try to
ask the right open questions to really try to understand what is the matter.
Not even try to change the view of the other, even if they want your opinion
or reaction.

I met a lot of reasons people could bring in against Open Space.

It makes me also contact with the feeling of happiness that there is a
overwhelming majority that fully agree it was a right thing to do.

I would say: listen very careful, but prevent to try to pull everyone in.
For some it is too much, for some it is to fast, for others it is too less
or it should go faster.

To me it’s the big picture that counts. Were they somehow in contact with
their Spirit? How did it feel? (Even without being in the same room).

And further:

I still want to thank you for the photographs you sent me.

It was very nice feeling to see myself there sitting in the sun in
Bramstrup. Thanks Marei !!

I wish you good luck and success in facilitating more Open Spaces.

Michaël Molenaar

Systemisch Consult

Tilburg - Holland

 <mailto:michael at syst.nl> michael at syst.nl