mother list

lebelland lebelland at paradise.net.nz
Sat Dec 6 15:29:26 PST 2003

mother listThis analogy#, this mythological food story is a worthy consideration.
Some breads are made by stretching and rolling,  some have the ingredients introduced to each other and allowed to develop slowly over time,
all breads however are transmuted by the element of heat.   This is the Art of Cooking.
Prior to this process the dough, although interesting, is largely indigestible.

What I  do to the dough is an expansive process, the elements are numerous,
what i choose to add,  what type of flour, fruit,  what kind of starter, how much i handle it, rolling it and stretching it, they are all degrees/ interventions and largely arbitrary.  One of my final interventions is to take a small part of the original culture and keep it safe, ready to be brought forward and added to the new.
The cooking of the bread however  assumes certain immutable principles.  One of those is that the temperature will reach a critical degree wherein the mother culture dies.      The Dough is Dead, Long live the Bread.

I am the bread , who so ever............( I am the outcome.)
Perhaps the OST  Event is the Crucible.
This 'starter', this place is a rich and fecund milieu for amongst other things....breadmaking!
I give thanks.
to the mother and to the ancestors.

# there is another story which tells of buying 'yeast' and 'ready bake bread mixes'
This  story is based on a  mother culture that is 10 years old in this country.

Daniel LeBel
InterSpace.
Westport.  NZ