mother list

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Fri Dec 5 16:35:46 PST 2003

There are about 350-400 people on this list Judi.  WAAAY more lurkers
than writers, or more butterflies than conveners.

Chris W refers to "mother list" and that's kind of how I think of this
"place."  It's like a sourdough starter, which is the piece of bubbling
yeast and flour that bakers use to get sourdough bread to rise.  As long
as you keep feeding it, the starter keeps living, and lots of loaves of
bread keep getting made from the same jar of stuff..

And at the risk of Harrison jumping in with another New Testament
allusion, I'll also say that vinegar starts with a "mother."

ANYWAY.

OSLIST mothers an awful lot of stuff for me.  And sometimes my
engagement here is very strong and other times I go away for a while and
do other things.  But in my own life it has spawned many interesting
things like the wikis, the non-guide, my weblogs (and other people's!),
collaborations with people like Michael Herman, Avner Haramati, Brian
Bainbridge, Peggy Holman, Joelle and Paul Everett, Julie Smith, Dan
Chay, Judi Richardson, Ashley Cooper, Birgitt Williams and it has led to
many face to face conversations with countless other people, often over
food, in places like Toronto, Vancouver, Bowen Island, Fairbanks,
Bellingham and Whidbey Island.

And most importantly, this list got me started, and with very kind and
careful attention from Larry Peterson, Dianne Gibeault, and Harrison I
took my first steps into OST seven years ago or so.  So I have never
forgotten that, and it's always led me to treat this list, and the
community of this list, with great care and affection.

So, like I say, if there's a moose under the table, to me it still looks
a lot more like a food cache than a problem!

Chris

---
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Bowen Island, BC, Canada