intro & question-visioning during opening of OS?

Jennifer Hurley JLHurley at hfadesign.com
Wed Dec 10 09:18:55 PST 2003

Hello everyone.  I recently joined the list and have been lurking for a
couple of weeks and learning lots.

By way of introduction--I am a City Planner in Philadelphia, PA, USA with a
background in conflict resolution and group facilitation.  My private
practice in planning focuses on facilitating public involvement in community
development.  For anyone interested in finding out more about me, see my
firm's website at http://www.hfadesign.com.

On to my question--
Has anyone on the list ever used a "visioning" meditation exercise as part
of the opening of an Open Space?  The kind of exercise I'm thinking of would
be something like this:

***
I want you to close your eyes, put your feet flat on the floor, and breathe
deeply.  Let all of the constraints of the present fall away.  Know that
anything is possible.  Pretend that you have a magic wand and can make
anything you want happen.

Imagine First Church 20 years from now.  What does it look like?  What kinds
of rooms do you see in the building?  What¹s happening in the rooms?  Who
are the people in the rooms?  How old are they?  Where do they come from?
What are they doing?  What are they saying?  What is happening around the
Church building?  What are Church members doing outside of the building?
What kinds of activities are they engaged in?  What¹s the relationship
between First Church and the surrounding area?  What do the neighbors say
about First Church?  What do other Unitarians think about First Church?

Now, take that vision and seal it, stamp it in your mind so that you can
call it up anytime you want.  You may want to write down a few key phrases
to remind you of your vision later.
***

What do people on the list think?

Thanks for your input,
Jennifer Hurley
-------------------------------
Hurley~Franks and Associates
Planning & Urban Design

1429 Walnut St., Ste. 601
Philadelphia, PA 19102

P: 215-988-9440
JLHurley at HFAdesign.com
http://www.hfadesign.com

Association for the New Urbanism in PennsylvaniA (ANUPA)
http://www.anupa.org

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential
and/or proprietary information.  If you have received this in error, please
contact the sender by replying to this message and delete this material from
any system it may be on.