intro & question-visioning during opening of OS?

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Wed Dec 10 09:56:39 PST 2003

Jennifer--

In my consulting practice, I have often used visioning exercises similar to
the one you described--with groups who are developing vision statements,
mission statements, or goals, or doing longrange planning.  Sometimes also when I am
asked for teambuilding exercises.  It's a powerful exercise, and seems to
bring up various aspects of the group's shared vision.

I've never done this type of exercise at the start of an Open Space.  OST in
itself seems to bring up elements of vision, and my inclination is to keep the
process as simple as possible.  But in my opening remarks or the opening
question, I might well invite people to look into the future of their
organization.  Good question--I hope others will share their experience with this!

Joelle Everett