Fun in Open Space

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Sat Aug 9 13:06:20 PDT 2003

Harrison, you said:

*      I guess I could feel really sad an upset. I am pretty clear why
fun doesn't put in an appearance. It has everything to do with control,
and the fact that for many of us, we have been taught that if you are
having fun, you can't be working, and therefore nothing useful can get
done. Happens in schools. Come on Children, stop playing, it is time to
go to work and learn something! How horrible!!! For me when fun stops,
learning ceases, and the possibility of useful outcomes reduces to zero.

I couldn't agree more, so let me tell you yet another way in which OST
is changing the world.

I co-taught a Conflict Resolution in the Classroom course last year.  We
conducted the entire class in OST.  On the last day we did a closing
circle.  In that circle, one of the teachers said the biggest learning
for her was that she could learn without stress.  Before the class, she
thought stress was a necessary corollary to learning.  I don't know how
this insight has changed what she does in the classroom, but I expect
whatever those changes are, are very good.

Julie

OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To
subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu, Visit: