espacio abierto (report, a bit long)

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 25 12:25:29 PDT 2003

At 06:17 PM 4/25/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>dear friends,
>
>two weeks ago I opened and held space
>for an international meeting in the province of almeria, spain.
>as far as I know that was for the very first time
>OpenSpace (Espacio Abierto) was offered at andalucia
>(the autonomous region in the south of spain).

totally wonderful!! You are doing a dream I have long had for open space:
creating the space for genuine civil (not necessarily polite) conversation
as the basis for real democracy. formal government is a great thing, and we
need it. But there are limitations and all of it gets very shallow absent
the continuing, informed conversation amongst the people about things that
really matter. In the early days of my country we had something called Town
Meetings. And it was just that -- folks getting together to talk about what
they cared about. Occasionally the took votes, but only when things could
not be solved in a more consensual way. American parties still try to hold
Town Meetings, but it is more of the same old same old -- running their
agenda and not listening to the people, and certainly not inviting the
people to take responsibility for what they care about. Anyhow --
Congratulations and More, More, More!!!!

Harrison

>Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA