espacio abierto (report, a bit long)

florian fischer florianfischer at ff-wey.com
Fri Apr 25 09:17:15 PDT 2003

dear friends,

two weeks ago I opened and held space
for an international meeting in the province of almeria, spain.
as far as I know that was for the very first time
OpenSpace (Espacio Abierto) was offered at andalucia
(the autonomous region in the south of spain).

let me say my lot of thanks to all of you working as  my background
in facilitating groups (as well in facilitating myself in everydaylife).

special thanks to horst steinmeier from mexiko,
gerard muller from denmark and ian barber from madrid
for sending help  enabling me to facilitate in spanish language.

the meeting was
sponsored by the local working Partida Independiente Comarca de Nijar,
intending to activate people for to take part at the regional-elections
in the month of  may. for the first time not only spanish people
but as well people from other european countries (EU) have the right
for voting in the regional elections where they are living full- or
parttime.

when I came in contact with the party they had already started
with meetings to present themselves in every village of the region.
they did it in the the usual manner with
two or three speakers in front of  an audience:
"the programm of the party is to listen to the people. please tell us,
what is going wrong in your village, what is to be changed"
people stood up accusing the actual government about a lot of things,
the speakers wrote it in their notebook, some of the audience
shouted against others in the audience --   it got louder and louder,

when I took part in one of those meetings I asked them
instead of accusing the actual government and
instead of promising change as a possibly new government
to enable people for to develop solutions themselves,
using the government afterwords mainly for to serve in realizing the
solutions.
as a way for to start into a new manner of development
I explained Espacio Abierto.(I had to avoid any american word,
because of the language of the acting american president).
 they invited me to go ahead together with them in preparing
a meeting in the manner of OpenSpace.
as headline for the invitation they decided:
»my life as people of nijar (mi vida como nijareño y nijareña)«
which is to say, that beside the nationality of birth
everyone living in the region of Nijar is a Nijareño.
in the view of spanish people that seems rather provoking, because
there is not any experience in integrating immigrants from abroad.

the OpenSpace took place on sunday   6th of april
from 9:00 a.m to 3:00 p.m. with handwritten
reports for every of the 40 participants at the end.
(including the essentials and the origin of OS)
four people appointed going ahead as a working-group for solutions
in the main conflict of whole the region
between agriculture, tourism and protecting the nature.

at the end the sponsor marked that day
as »the beginning of a new area for whole of andalucia,
because for the first time in this country had been proved  that people
are able to discuss even deep touching conflicts in a peaceful way.
the party will go ahead as well after the elections using Espacio
Abierto
for the development of the region.«
it is ripling.
florian