Open Space on television?

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 9 10:42:15 PDT 2003

At 01:02 PM 4/9/2003 -0400, Joelle wrote:

>I really don't know what the person who proposed the idea has in mind, and I
>don't think that she has proposed the idea yet to TV people or sponsors, or
>even thought through the details of how it might work.  She is at the point
>of "Open Space provides a way for people with conflicting views to talk
>together, let's have one around some tough political issues, and let's do it
>on television."

videoing an event has never been a problem in my experience -- but my gut
tells me that a live TV hook-up could be "interesting." Might be worthwhile
doing as an experiment -- but my prediction is that having it all live will
encourage "grandstanding" particularly in an event focused on high voltage
political issues. My inclination would be shoot first, edit and broadcast
later. this would not mean much of a delay (instant edit etc). I also think
it would make better TV. OS is so episodic (things happen when they happen)
that having film crews just sitting and waiting could be a downer. But with
a good edit, the story gets told. For an example, see the (excellent I
think) tape USWEST did.

Harrison

>Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive