Open Space on television?

Seamus McInerney crossroadsfacilitation at eircom.net
Wed Apr 9 15:43:45 PDT 2003

Hi Joelle,
I think it would work very well. Just look at the popularity of 'fly on the wall' programmes lately. There is even one on BBC that invites people to dinner and listens in on the conversations that develop. A two day OS with a suitable subject could be edited to make an interesting programme. They could even do a follow up to see what had happened after a few months.

Mind you the attraction to TV land is the conflicts that arise, not the sources of agreement.

Shay

> OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU> wrote:

> Friends--
>
> Someone has inquired about doing an Open Space conference on television.
> Have any of you done this?
>
> The person who inquired thinks, correctly, that Open Space provides a good
> environment for people with conflicting beliefs to talk with each other.
>
> I have two questions--
>
> First, will participants be willing to speak freely, knowing that their
> comments are being heard by a television audience?
>
> Second, I question whether real-time group conversation would play well on
> television, to an audience used to fast-paced, highly scripted and editted
> shows.
>
> But I have no first-hand experience on this.  Do you?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joelle

> Visit:

Crossroads Facilitation
50 Carrigdhoun,
Waterpark,Carrigaline,Cork
+353 87 783 7557
http://homepage.eircom.net/~pobaleire
"Building bridges and getting you over them"