Out of the Silence

Christine Kent christine_kent at optusnet.com.au
Thu Apr 24 23:25:12 PDT 2003

Ash

you said...presently, i am amazed at how often i find myself sitting back, watching, and listening...and yet there is so much bubbling inside. i am just trying to find a meaningful way to share.

OK , I'll bite.  As I was trying to write down all the military crises that have made us afraid (ie wars in the Balkans do not count because they are localised and do not threaten Australia or the US), they all had America and/or England as the Aggressor, and Australia as the obedient puppet.  Cuba, Korea, Vietnam, Libya etc etc.  The militaristic three!

Have we have gone quiet because we are in shock?  Have we have finally seen the enormity of the crimes being committed in our name?  Have we have finally seen that our governments - those governments that spout democracy and freedom - are doing the opposite?  Have we finally become aware that we the only countries invading other countries that are posing no direct border threat to our own survival?

Consider also the outcomes of our actions - In Iran, in Pakistan, in Afghanistan, when the US interfered with internal politics, fundamentalist Islam arose.  Consider that the Taliban are a direct creation of the US.  Consider that the only country to successfully resist the US - Libya - still has liberal Islam.  Sadam may have murdered his enemies, but his regime was not fundamentalist - systematic house arrest, torture and murder of women, just because they are women, was not part of life in Iraq.  Just watch - it will be now.  Watch the Iraqi women suffer when the fundamentalists take over - and feel the shame.

Why, oh why, are we doing this?

By their fruits shall ye know them.

And are we too afraid to express our feelings, too afraid that they will overwhelm us, too concerned with appearing to be 'spiritual' and calm and good and highly evolved, too owned by the banks................., to actually risk DOING anything?  Even Ghandi knew when it was time to ACT.  Do we have the courage to open the space - for ACTION - now that the words have run out?

and into the silence waded Christine..........