AW: Using digital cameras...and much more than that!

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Mon Sep 16 15:00:51 PDT 2002

In a message dated 9/16/02 3:52:05 AM, mail at visuelle-protokolle.de writes:

<< The regional leaders of a consulting company discussed their future. We
made

them paint their expectations themselves on flip charts, astonishing

results - they never would have dared to show their fears as open in words!

And we made a handdrawn picture record, no texts.

Reinhard--

Thanks for providing us with such great examples of using graphic methods to
record meetings!  In some of my workshops, I have people draw instead of
writing, and the results are always astonishing.  Before trying to put into
words the organization's vision and mission, I generally ask people to relax
and imagine the future, then draw a sketch representing their vision.  It is
interesting that the visions seem to come from a deeper place, and there is
much more agreement between people than we find when we begin with words.
I've been working with a women's circle using this process, and the
participants are very excited by what they have produced.

In another workshop on personal transitions, I have individuals develop an
action plan and time line.  Then, each one makes a life-size drawing of him
or herself, drawing in all the growth and change they hope to realize.  When
they introduce these drawings back to the group, I am always moved by the
very personal thoughts they reveal, as you mentioned in your example above.

This conversation has been encouraging to me to see how many practitioners
are finding ways to involve more of the whole person in meetings and events,
and ways to capture more of the feeling of the day in the reporting.

Joelle Everett
Shelton, Washington, USA