AW: Using digital cameras...and much more than that!

Visuelle Protokolle mail at visuelle-protokolle.de
Fri Sep 20 20:52:47 PDT 2002

Dough wrote:
Reinhard and Joelle--

Do either of you have examples of the kinds of drawings people do? This
sounds exciting, but I wonder if there are a lot of people who object,
saying, "I could never draw...."

Dough,

of course people normally say "I could never draw" before they start to do
it.

We made several experiences with  drawing people. Besides the beautiful
examples Joelle described we could shortly mention the following situations:

1. We use 'Templates', that means posters with a little bit of metaphoric
drawing, done by us first, and lots of blank space for people to take over
and draw the posters themselves:

-  this summer, in a conference of IT people,  who began a change process of
two years, we asked the participants to define the contents of four
different change projects. In groups of eight they first had a brainstorming
and then started to draw. It was 300 people in 40 groups, and the results
were immediately put to the wall. Members of the board, who had not seen the
pictures before, presented the drawings to the auditorium. A process of one
hour alltogether. Some representatives had beeb afraid that many people
would step back, but al of them came out with beautiful pictures. There will
be a gallery now.

-  the same we will do with the 150 participants of IAF Europe in october in
the Netherlands, were as a start up they will draw their expectations for
the conference in 25 groups.

2. Self image:

12 regional leaders of a consulting company took half an hour to make 3
drawings on flip charts, showing their future. The pictures showed in
shocking clarity the unavoidable end of the company, something no one would
have dared to express in words. Three months later they were gone.

3 representatives of a IT Company were seeking a common future. They made
excellent drawings showing now and future on flip charts, much more
important than words.

3. Workshops:

20 trainers in Austria made spontaneous illustrations of a fairy tale I told
them, and then one of them retold the tale according to the pictures, they
almost died with laughter.

30 facilitators made a large drawing of their professional lives, starting
on a time scale, with special drawings for highlights, before talking about
their insights.

All of these people had never drawn in public, most of them also not at
home, many of them were shy first. All of them had a fun bigger than words.

It really is a shame, that I have to describe pictures with words!!!!! I
understand, that in a network pictures are not allowed, and at the same
time, since pictures are my language, I feel handicapped like hell. If you
want to see pictures, please write to me privately!

Reinhard

Kuchenmueller & Stifel
VISUELLE PROTOKOLLE

Munich Germany