AW: Using digital cameras...and much more than that!

Visuelle Protokolle mail at visuelle-protokolle.de
Sun Sep 15 07:27:18 PDT 2002

Winston wrote:
What I am really considering is doing away with the computer (for the
purposes of creating text) completely...

and now this thread for us goes much further than digital cameras.

Hewlitt Packard Int. deleeted pc-written records of meetings totally in
favour of huge wallpapers with graphic recording (still with a lot of
handwritten texts in it, though). There are problems with  legability, if
you reproduce these wallpapers in brochures (after taking digital photos of
them), and problems to "get the whole picture" if you break it down into
peaces in the pc.  I recently recorded two of their European meetings, with
hundreds of  participants each. Not os, but world cafe stile. I found a
solution to use many small picture cards instead of the huge drawings and
put these under the wallpaper headings, so they were easy to reproduce! And
no written textbooks! People liked it a lot.

We did kind of os with Bauteilbörse Basel in Switzerland, an agency for
unemployed people, and the only documentation were our picture cards, about
100. The most important ones, 14 cards, were printed as leporello afterwards
and they use them in many ways. The unemployed really took possession of the
process.

We documented a board meeting in Munich to gather ideas from schoolchildren
for an adventure playground and translated the wishes of the children
directly into handdrawn pictures. Each child had three red points to glew
them to mark his/her favorite proposal. It was amazing how easily the
children could work with the picture wall. The proposals were adapted
directly by the city authorities.

The regional leaders of a consulting company discussed their future. We made
them paint their expectations themselves on flip charts, astonishing
results - they never would have dared to show their fears as open in words!
And we made a handdrawn picture record, no texts.

We interviewed 174 employees of Mercedes Benz representing 8000 others to
prepare quality standards for a huge building project. In 25 workshops they
gave their view of desired qualities, reaching from the company future to
technical details of production lines. Because the company did not really
trust our method, they sent their chief recorder to take minutes by hand.
After the first interview he refused to continue, because our handdrawn
record was already ready, while he would have had to compress his notes and
formulate a text. A text, as he confessed, that never could reach the
complexity of our result. So we continued and made 1.300 drawings,
compressed them into 800 drawings, clustered and grouped them into 36
sections, gave a short introduction and method description and printed the
final report (three volumes). Both the directors and the planners got a
detailed insight into the company they could not have got by any other
medium.

These are examples for conference and meeting records without written texts.
We integrated some words in our drawings, that together with the pictures
seemed to satisfy the clients and participants to understand and remember.

With all these projects we are just experimenting with the effects of
drawings with little amounts of words and no separate text, an item nobody
else so far could provide any insider knowlege. So we would like very much
to hear from others if they can contribute, and thank for any comments.

Reinhard
VISUELLE PROTOKOLLE
Kuchenmueller & Dr. Stifel

Munich Germany