the unexpected

Meg Salter meg.salter at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 3 15:39:02 PDT 2002

Hello michael and others:

I'm interested in your point below, that "the highest priority issue sees no
action". I too have experienced this on occasion. One in particular was when
it was clearly an issue that was only in the manager's prerogative to deal
with. And he was reluctant to do so. It made this dynamic pretty obvious!
(Luckily, the manager's manager was around, and helped him through it!)

Could others comment on this pattern? Sometimes it seems too overwhelming,
sometimes people feel they can do nothing about it. Sometimes, it is sort of
an all-encompassing "umbrella" type statement that could have many
sub-components. Other views???????
Meg Salter

MegaSpace Consulting
416/486-6660
meg.salter at sympatico.ca
www.megaspaceconsulting.com

> One interesting thing that happens over and over again is that the
> issue with the highest priority sees no action.
> I keep reminding myself that open space is an action and planning
> methodology and a window opener to the open space nature of all
> organisations and not a process of "democracy" (see Birgitts note on
> democracy).
> Greetings from Berlin
> michael
>

> On Tue, 3 Sep 2002 15:58:28 +0100, kerry napuk wrote:
>
> >Dear Listers
> >
> >While facilitating an event last month with the African & Carribean
> >Community in Glasgow, the unexpected came calling.  It was a mini
> >event with one round of issues and actions which the 42 participants
> >attacked with gusto and verve.
> >
> >When it came to convergence through voting on priorities for the
> >Health Board, there were several protests against voting.  We even
> >had two hand counts on whether or not to vote.  The divisions went
> >almost strictly along gender lines, women against and men for voting.
> >It took 75 minutes before a compromise proposal emerged from the
> >Community.  Democracy can be painful at times but there was no ending
> >until the Community decided how it would go forward.
> >
> >By the way, the Community agreed to consolidate issues where possible
> >and vote another day.
> >
> >Cheers
> >
> >Kerry
> >Open Futures
> >Edinburgh
>

> Michael M Pannwitz
> boscop
> Draisweg 1
> 12209 Berlin, Germany
> FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
> www.michaelmpannwitz.de
>
> An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open
space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.