the unexpected

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Fri Sep 6 13:43:29 PDT 2002

In a message dated 9/4/02 10:40:25 AM, meg.salter at sympatico.ca writes:

<< Could others comment on this pattern? Sometimes it seems too overwhelming,

sometimes people feel they can do nothing about it. Sometimes, it is sort of

an all-encompassing "umbrella" type statement that could have many

sub-components. Other views???????

Meg--

I also see issues that seem overwhelming, and the too-big, too-general
statements are common.  I think that sometimes the problem is fear--the new
behavior required to address an issue feels too risky, or is outside the
individual's beliefs about what he can do.

One of the "hooray"s from a recent Open Space is that a manager heard a lot
of feedback about how the negative and repressive behavior of one of his
supervisors (who had chosen not to participate) was affecting his employees.
The manager has now found the courage to confront the supervisor with some
new requirements about his job performance.  We will see what behavior
actually changes--but the issue is now out in the open, instead of driving
everybody crazy behind the scenes.

Fortunately, the director has given this manager a lot of support in dealing
with this issue.  This might be something to explore explicitly in
contracting meetings--what support will be given to meeting needs that are
revealed by the Open Space.

Joelle Everett