the unexpected

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Tue Sep 3 14:14:49 PDT 2002

Dear Kerry,
why vote?
If participants come up with action proposals they will go ahead and
act.
Was it the Health Board's open space?  If so, fine.
If, however, the group had the issue of voting on priorities for the
Health Board what is the Health Board going to do with those
priorities?
I am presently recommending "prioritizing" (not voting) or
"consolidation" (bunching related issues into "issue families") only
when people had at least one day of open space, read the proceedings
after a nights sleep and then regard the result of the prioritisation
(or consolidation) only as additional information about their system
and not as the main basis for direct action. Proposals for actions
are invited after reading the proceedings or after the reading and
prioritisation (or consolidation). Of course, participants can do
whatever they decide on (which is what happens anyway) and that can
mean that some will act on perhaps a high priority item (or on a
"consolidated" group of issues under a new heading) or none will do
that but there are always a whole bunch of people that are putting
forward action steps.
One interesting thing that happens over and over again is that the
issue with the highest priority sees no action.
I keep reminding myself that open space is an action and planning
methodology and a window opener to the open space nature of all
organisations and not a process of "democracy" (see Birgitts note on
democracy).
Greetings from Berlin
michael

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002 15:58:28 +0100, kerry napuk wrote:

>Dear Listers
>
>While facilitating an event last month with the African & Carribean
>Community in Glasgow, the unexpected came calling.  It was a mini
>event with one round of issues and actions which the 42 participants
>attacked with gusto and verve.
>
>When it came to convergence through voting on priorities for the
>Health Board, there were several protests against voting.  We even
>had two hand counts on whether or not to vote.  The divisions went
>almost strictly along gender lines, women against and men for voting.
>It took 75 minutes before a compromise proposal emerged from the
>Community.  Democracy can be painful at times but there was no ending
>until the Community decided how it would go forward.
>
>By the way, the Community agreed to consolidate issues where possible
>and vote another day.
>
>Cheers
>
>Kerry
>Open Futures
>Edinburgh

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.