AW: Graphics in Open Space

Visuelle Protokolle mail at visuelle-protokolle.de
Sun Sep 22 11:16:24 PDT 2002

  Harrison wrote:

  The use of graphics -- indeed all non-verbal forms -- is a wonderful way
to enrich and deepen the experience. ...  at the First International
Symposium on Organization Transformation (Open Space was "born" at the third
symposium) where we had some 250 participants exploring an area that had
barely been named, we created a huge bulletin board that totally surrounded
the folks -- who of course were sitting in a circle. Around the room we had
baskets of magic markers and crayons -- and an invitation to draw what you
couldn't say, or draw what you could say, but make it clearer with a
picture. For about an hour folks did their thing. At the start it was
largely individual efforts, but soon small groups formed with group
projects. When the initial wave of creation was over, we had this wonderful
walk about the hall. Totally without instruction, folks naturally moved from
their own work to their neighbors -- and of course conversation followed, as
did enhancements and improvements to the drawings. At the end we had this
marvelous mural created by everybody. I would call THAT Group Graphics.

  Harrison

  Yes Harrison, THAT is real Group Graphics.

  Some years ago I would have made some hesitant remarks like: "people in
Open Space are mainly concentrated on their themes and discussions and are
happy, if someone lends them his feltpen and provides them with a picture
record".  But after several experiences with drawing folks (the last one
with 300 people at BMW drawing on posters we had prepared) I assume that
people are happy to draw under any condition. So my question is: since
people at Open Space like painted records much better than written ones, and
since I am convinced that they can carry at least the same message, what
does it need to make people really do it, to take markers and crayons and
draw? Who can spread the message? Is there some need of training the
facilitators visually? Or only encouraging them?

  In the meantime we are happy, if we are invited to take part and draw at
Open Space, and also to help people to draw themselves. But of course we see
that to acompany Open Space with Visual Facilitators is expensive for the
client and more often too expensive. Each client should consider carefully,
wether he gets an extra value for his money.

  Of course we know David Sibbet and his beautiful work, (and we will see
him in october at the VISUALPRACTITIONERs conference). And we love big fat
beautiful murals. Only for records to carry home they have a difficult
format. So we decided to use small cards instead, which we add to big
picture walls. These cards can get reproduced easily , as brochures,
leporellos or also posters.

  Reinhard

  VISUELLE PROTOKOLLE
  Kuchenmueller & Dr. Stifel