Continuing to be surprised.

Joan Smith joanis at ozemail.com.au
Thu Sep 5 21:46:45 PDT 2002

I have been openspacing  for about 10 years now and continue to receive
the 'surprise' I was promised at the event with Harrison in Melbourne
many many years ago.
I have always found the opening circle special - a time for touching
with the eyes and making contacts  of many colours........  Feedback
about the experience being powerful has always been spontaneous
Recently I was openspacing with a group (89 people) from educational
backgrounds who were excited about the OS experience.  During the circle
opening, there was something in my   body that was telling WHAT? Nerves
at being among so many highly educated people in one go?  Could be.
Then there was the rush to name and write passions, get out there and
sign up, causing utmost chaos (and fun) at the wall.  My initial
feelings quietened and then it happened.
I was confronted by two extremely disturbed participants - at first I
wasn't picking up what they were saying.  However the gist of it was
about  my walking around the circle.  Both these people had been
teachers of the deaf and  were extremely upset that there were times
when I was not facing them in particular, and IF I HAD deaf people in
the group the circle would not be completely open.
While the outcome was Ok and I think the issue  wasn't really about
persons who are deaf  , just for interest I was wondering if anyone had
openspaced with a deaf community?

Best wishes
Joan Smith