mental meanderings and self-organization

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Tue Oct 29 10:12:35 PST 2002

Hi folks:

Further to the Denise Levertov poem I posted yesterday, here is a link
to a paper that I wrote a while back on Open Space, freedom shock and
the legacy of education.

The paper takes as it's starting point the seven lessons that schools
teach, according to John Taylor Gatto, the New York State teacher of the
year in 1991.  The seven lessons are:

1.      Confusion.
2.      Class Position.
3.      Indifference.
4.      Emotional Dependency.
5.      Intellectual dependency.
6.      Provisional Self-Esteem.
7.      One Can't Hide.

The paper goes into detail about these lessons and the social conditions
they create as people move out into the work world.  I guess I believe
that "freedom shock" is in part a result of our true natures as
uncovered in Open Space confronting our conditioned natures, for which
we can thank schooling.  Only after a process of personal transformation
(or "Deschooling" as Ivan Illich would say) can we fully appreciate and
embrace the freedom and implications offered by Open Space.

Anyway, my paper is at http://www.chriscorrigan.com/educationpaper.pdf

For more, check out "Deschooling Society" which is a gift to have
available online at
http://philosophy.la.psu.edu/illich/deschool/intro.html

Cheers,

Chris