mental meanderings and self-organization

Douglas D. Germann, Sr. 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Tue Oct 29 17:58:58 PST 2002

Julie--

Two statements you made drew me into this conversation:

 << How do we teach our children algebra?

What occurs to me is to ask, Why did anyone invent algebra? I suspect the
answer revolves around curiosity for the world around them, and the need
for a tool to help in the exploring.

 << What do I believe about education?  What do I believe about educating
 << children?"  I'm pulled toward inviting discussion about the core
beliefs

I like that theme. Is it like a lot of my themes, though--exciting, but
hard to get arms around? What topics would you post if you were sitting in
the circle hearing the invitation to "Come to the center, grab a marker and
paper...?" Your theme revolves somehow around hidden assumptions, yes?
Could you use a little bit of sleuthing and curiosity to explore your
theme?

                              :-Doug.