OS with children: What are the unstated assumptions and aims of OS?

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Mon Oct 21 09:51:52 PDT 2002

Elena--

At the Women's Leadership Institute at the Ob Sea, we included a half-day on
implementation planning, with some very specific exercises designed to help
the women think about their projects and how to accomplish them.  Of course,
they already had projects identified and in many cases were working on them,
from the earlier conference which you were a part of.

Anyway, in the whole week, whenever we presented a concept or methodology, we
had the participants work in project teams to see how the concept might apply
to their project.  And in the afternoon focussed on implementation, the
groups used Force Field analysis to develop a strategy, drew network diagrams
to identify people who might be resources, and constructed project flow
charts, with dates and people responsible for the specific tasks.  Many women
told us that they understood their projects in a new way.

I think my key learning here is that most Russians have a very short history
of being able to implement their own ideas, so the ideas may not be very
ambitious and the planning not very concrete.  No lack of talent, but for
many people a lack of experience.

Anyway, you are doing good work with the Rotaract youth, and building a firm
foundation for the future!

Love,

Joelle