concurrent OSTs

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at snafu.de
Sun Oct 13 10:04:37 PDT 2002

Dear Ted,
I have been involved in events where the invited speakers did their
part one afternoon and the next day everyone participated in an open
space. That worked just fine.
Also, I have had a speaker from 8:30 to 9.15 in the morning, then
have a break of 30 minutes and then proceed with the open space (on
the occasion this happened, people just scrambled like mad to
announce issues when that phase began....now here you can speculate
why that happened: 1. they were so charged up by the talk that they
couldnt hold back 2. they were so bored by the talk that they finally
wanted some action 3. they were hot on their theme and no matter what
happened before the os they would scramble to get their thing in 4.
any of those 3 things combined 5. the facilitator, ME, was terrific).
Then I had speakers be just part of the participants and here
something really odd took place: they did not post their talks! As it
turned out they were so interested in some of the other issues posted
that they just dropped their talks.
A couple of weeks ago I was involved in the yearly meeting of the
National Association of career councelors (geman) and they had a
speaker on the morning following the open space (she had participated
in the os) and that worked really great (she did a very interactive
thing having people work on their own experiences around gender
issuse in groups of 3 and 5, it was fun, and perhaps it wasnt really
a "speaker" in the traditional sense).
If you can arrange, as you have suggested already,  for the speakers
to be in the circle with the other participants during invocation so
they have the opportunity to post their talks just like everyone else
as one of the possible issues then things should work just
fine....but: be ready to be surprised!
On a different track: How does your judgement  that CWLAs "Family
Unification Program"  is a dying program enter into your design and
the purpose/direction of the January conference?
Take care
michael

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 11:01:25 -0500, Ted Ernst wrote:

>How do I access the archives for this list?  I know there's been plenty of
>discussion about doing OST concurrent to a traditional sort of conference,
>but I'm afraid I didn't read those posts very closely and can't remember any
>of the details.
>
>Anyway, I've been sharing my experiences in Open Space (Michael Herman's
>Illinois Food Security Summit last fall, Michael's practice workshop in
>Peoria in the spring, Midwest (USA) OSonOS in June, and my "How Can I
>Practice Peace?" event in June) with my supervisor at work.  He is now
>convinced that the Child Welfare League of America needs to use OST at their
>January conference on the Family Unification Program (specifics of this
>program not so important to this discussion, but suffice it to say that
>Congress hasn't re-funded the program so it will only continue with money
>from previous allocations, and thus be a dying program over time).
>Unfortunately, he's not the one making the decisions for CWLA, so he and I
>are working with 2 people from there to see if we can develop a model that
>we're all comfortable with.  Oh, did I mention that he wants me to
>facilitate the OST?
>
>Anyway, they've suggested tracks where the more experienced people are
>invited into OST and the newer people have a traditional conference.  I've
>suggested to them that they allow me to open the space for everyone and then
>the "invited" speakers also post their topics on the wall.  What do you
>think of this?  What about the idea of having "invited" speakers post their
>topics on a seperate part of the wall so it's clear which track is which?
>What about having the "invited" speakers wall-postings pre-printed?  Of
>course I think the whole thing would go swimmingly if it were simply all in
>open space, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.
>
>Thoughts?
>
>peace,
>ted
>___
>Humanize the Earth! http://www.chicagohumanist.org http://www.tedernst.com
>
>*
>*
>Visit:

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.