concurrent OSTs

Ted Ernst ted at chicagohumanist.org
Sun Oct 13 09:01:25 PDT 2002

How do I access the archives for this list?  I know there's been plenty of
discussion about doing OST concurrent to a traditional sort of conference,
but I'm afraid I didn't read those posts very closely and can't remember any
of the details.

Anyway, I've been sharing my experiences in Open Space (Michael Herman's
Illinois Food Security Summit last fall, Michael's practice workshop in
Peoria in the spring, Midwest (USA) OSonOS in June, and my "How Can I
Practice Peace?" event in June) with my supervisor at work.  He is now
convinced that the Child Welfare League of America needs to use OST at their
January conference on the Family Unification Program (specifics of this
program not so important to this discussion, but suffice it to say that
Congress hasn't re-funded the program so it will only continue with money
from previous allocations, and thus be a dying program over time).
Unfortunately, he's not the one making the decisions for CWLA, so he and I
are working with 2 people from there to see if we can develop a model that
we're all comfortable with.  Oh, did I mention that he wants me to
facilitate the OST?

Anyway, they've suggested tracks where the more experienced people are
invited into OST and the newer people have a traditional conference.  I've
suggested to them that they allow me to open the space for everyone and then
the "invited" speakers also post their topics on the wall.  What do you
think of this?  What about the idea of having "invited" speakers post their
topics on a seperate part of the wall so it's clear which track is which?
What about having the "invited" speakers wall-postings pre-printed?  Of
course I think the whole thing would go swimmingly if it were simply all in
open space, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Thoughts?

peace,
ted
___