OS as a transition year exercise

McInerney shaymarg at indigo.ie
Mon Oct 14 05:07:06 PDT 2002

Hi All,
Still buzzing after Michael Herman's OS workshop here in Ireland. So I'm
looking for advice. First I think I'd better explain the structure of
Irelands education system so you can draw parallels to your own systems.

Irelands education system (Republic of Ireland, the North uses the GB
system) is divided into 3 level which are referred to as primary,
secondary and third level. The primary level starts at 4 or 5 and lasts
8 years, normally in the same school. Second level has a 3 year junior
cycle leading to a state exam called the Junior Cert and a 2 year senior
cycle leading to another state exam called the Leaving cert. The third
level is made up of University and Institutes of Technology.

A few years ago, the concept of a Transition Year was introduced and it
is optional. This is a year long programme between Junior Cert and the
Leaving Cert. My 16 year old son has just started this programme in Sept
and he seems to be getting on OK. The core subjects of Irish, English,
Maths are covered but subjects such as Geography are linked to tourism
and there is a lot of project work involved in the different subjects.
This is not normally the case in the exam cycles. For some students the
year is considered a year out and many parents don't want there children
to do it because they are afraid they will loose the habit of study and
have trouble getting on track for the exam years.

It struck me that it would be perfect for the introduction of the
concept of OS to the 15/16 year olds. So I thought I'd propose it to the
school. I imagine there would be concern regarding the law of two feet
and indeed levels of participation. So I would like to know if anyone
has tried OS in a similar context and how best to put it to the school
authorities. There is no particular issue to be addressed such as drugs,
etc but what would be useful themes for the age group.

By the way, I'm a parent and not involved in education.

Slán

Shay