LA information

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Sun Oct 13 19:39:42 PDT 2002

Hello, Gail -

You asked:
Does anyone have information on open space work in the Los Angeles
area that relates to juvenile crime or the penal system?  I have a
friend there who is working there in the prisons and I think OST
would be helpful.

- - -

Perhaps you have done some of this, dear Ed Ball (warmest regards!).

Ed's closer geographically, and a heck of a great OST supporter/sharer,
too.

I am a little farther away - up in the San Francisco Bay Area - among
other things I work with prison inmates and haven't yet done OS inside
(though we have plans to - thinking of doing a Practice of Peace OS
inside...) but perhaps can help (I help train inmates as peer health
educators / peer counselors).  I've convened a Central California
regional conference of people working inside prisons and jails and
representing agencies supporting inmates and their families - that was
in Open Space.  And I just presented on OST (1 hour to
approximate/introduce OST -- just a teaser...) at a recent statewide
conference for the prisons/jails/inmates/families/agencies folks.  Plus
10 members of the Los Angeles County Human Relations Commission (the
folks who soothe and weave and help LA breathe during times of tensions)
went through a recent OST I held in San Francisco.  Young people are
very present in all the above programs...

So perhaps I may help in some way and perhaps I may also know of some
folks that might also offer support in some way...Feel free to pass
along my info.

Take care,

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t