Story and idea of another convergence and action planning approach in OS

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Wed Nov 27 14:09:05 PST 2002

I'm with you Harrison, and the categories sure didn't feel as forced as
all that.  There was no sense of the corners being shaved off pegs, with
all the attendant friction and sawdust.  Yes they voted with their
feet.:-)

Anyway, the real estate was divided into five parts (one was open) and
the group did choose to stretch the boundaries of the existing
categories and ignore one all together.  They were interested in
creating synergy out of their work by making sure that the ideas they
were raising also had currency in another context.  The interesting
thing is that there were no orphaned topics.  They just kept opening the
"pre-divided" slots until they accommodated all of their work.  In the
action planning sessions, every discussion report was considered.

I for one have never pretended that convergence and action planning is
"Open Space Technology" even if they are undertaken in the Spirit of
Open Space.  I do think though that inviting people to play with the
news wall and move things around might be a neat way of inviting
evolving convergence.  That might invite a day long engagement with the
enterprise of creating organization, in real time and as issues come up,
just like in real life.  And it would allow us to start the last half
day ready to get down to work. The milling would be encouraged to happen
over a longer period of time but by the last morning, all that would be
left to do is dig in.

Thoughts on that?

Chris

---