Story and idea of another convergence and action planning approach in OS

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 27 13:44:20 PST 2002

At 10:58 AM 11/27/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Colleagues:
>
>I'm just back from a two day strategic planning session with a report on
>a non-voting application of convergence and action planning.

Seems to me that folks voted with their feet -- but I guess that is just
the old curmudgeon talking. given the fact that the real estate had already
been divided into four parts (rather like Gaul) I guess you really didn't
have any choice. But personally, I find the business of categorization in
Strategic planning to be majorly frustrating, especially when somebody else
makes the categories, as they usually do. then you end up spending some
effort, and typically a lot of effort, forcing round pegs into square
holes. I find that when the categories actually emerge from the passions of
the people, you end up with a very different and, I think, more powerful
enterprise. Yes there is some milling about -- but useful milling about I
think. People are really trying to get a handle on this funny thing called
Their Organization. Anyhow, I am not sure I would have anything different,
given the lay of the land to start. But I sure hate forcing square pegs in
triangular holes.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive