A different approach or a space invader?

Koos de Heer koosdhr at auryn.nl
Sun Nov 17 11:53:33 PST 2002

Dear Wendy and all,

At 19:43 16-11-2002 -0400, Homegrown Wisdom wrote:
>The discussion turned toward an analysis of the problem for the first part
>and I almost left, because I found the discussion downright depressing and
>it wasn t about the topic I had posted. Then, others in the group,
>including me, helped turn the discussion toward how to connect local
>producers and consumers. I tried to be respectful toward the other person
>s concerns, but I just don t share them.

Sounds like the merger was not such a great idea to begin with, and having
arrived at this point, a split might have been a good idea. The law of two
feet can also be applied collectively - if roughly half of the group wants
to be somewhere else than the other half, because it feels it is neither
learning nor contributing in the way it really wants to be...

In my opening, I always mention the possibility of merging topics, and I
always at the same time warn against it. Only merge two topics if both
conveners are convinced that it is a good idea. Open Space is not about
quantity. Very often, two smaller groups are just as effective, if not more
effective, than one bigger group.

Best wishes,

Koos

Koos de Heer