community

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Tue Nov 12 10:26:05 PST 2002

Hi Judi:

Several experiences in that vein.

I have used ST on probably four or five occasions associated with the
Aboriginal treaty making process here in British Columbia.  All the
elements were there: conflict, passion, the need to yell etc.  In the
most recent case, we had 70 people coming together to envision a future
between First Nations and non-Aboriginal people and communities after a
treaty is signed.  This was in a region of the province dominated by
forestry, ranching and mining, and with a history of sour relations.  In
the end, there were a couple dozen topics proposed, which funnily enough
stayed away from the subjects tat have traditionally divided these kinds
of gathering in the past.  In other worlds people were asked to focus on
what they could do together in the future and that seemed to steal a
bunch of anger away, yet maintain the passion that people feel fro their
region.  People are angry about the past, not about the future, and if
offered a chance to mold the future together they will seize it.

The organizing group set up follow up meeting (not in OS) to deal with
the four issues that had legs.  They were:

* A joint tourism initiative, finding ways to "sell" the region to the
world using both the Aboriginal and the pioneer story.

* The creation of a joint economic development organization to support
projects that will benefit both communities, thus overcoming the
traditional economic divide (which is one major source for all the anger
on both sides - "you have what we want, you want what we worked hard
for.").

* The creation of a joint story for the region, and history developed
together which will result in a museum exhibit and displays at local
shopping malls

* Some joint wildlife management work to ensure that both Aboriginal
people have enough animals to hunt for subsistence and ceremonial
purposes and that non-Aboriginal hunters have a chance at hunting for
food and commercial purposes too (there are lots of guide/outfitters in
the region who rely on health animal populations to be able to bring
visitors into the regional economy).

That's just one example.

Other stories of OST meetings I have done where people would have
otherwise shouted can be found in the archives at:

http://listserv.boisestate.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0204
<http://listserv.boisestate.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0204&L=oslist&P=R15379&
X=3666BB603F1134C0AD&Y=chris at chriscorrigan.com>
&L=oslist&P=R15379&X=3666BB603F1134C0AD&Y=chris at chriscorrigan.com

http://listserv.boisestate.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0009
<http://listserv.boisestate.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0009&L=oslist&P=R13534&
X=3FE75D77CB9509C201&Y=chris at chriscorrigan.com>
&L=oslist&P=R13534&X=3FE75D77CB9509C201&Y=chris at chriscorrigan.com
(This one has spawned a follow up meeting to be held over 2.5 days in
February of next year)

&L=oslist&P=R13534&X=3FE75D77CB9509C201&Y=chris at chriscorrigan.com

The above links may need to be cut and pasted into your browser window
to work properly.  Make sure you get both lines.

Cheers,

Chris

---
CHRIS CORRIGAN