Is the OSlist an OS setting?

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Tue May 28 11:21:40 PDT 2002

I think that if you spend any amount of time in chat rooms, you will
find that those are more like the regular kinds of face to face OST
meetings that we are used to. Mailing lists are asynchronous, which is
an element that is a little bit present in a face to face OST meeting
(people can comment on the news wall for example, or start other groups
as a result of previous discussions).

UseNet (the old pre-list internet discussion groups) and MetaNet is a
lot more like a F2F OST meeting than this list is.

I think the Internet in all it's manifestations mimics OST simply
because as technologies both facilitate conversation, interaction and
information exchange in similar ways.  Most notable is that "no one is
in charge" and participants are invited to follow their passion and
create stuff.

There are lots of examples of "interactive" media that are nothing like
OST: phone in radio shows being my favourite example.  But I think by
and large, when forums and media are allowed to evolve on their own,
they look more and more like home.

Chris

--

CHRIS CORRIGAN