Is the OSlist an OS setting?

Artur Ferreira da Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Tue May 28 11:55:48 PDT 2002

Hello Chris:

Thank you for your comments. I will wait for other comments, but I
would like to comment on a small point where I have discovered that my
sensibility is quite different from your own.

At 11:21 28-05-2002 -0700, Chris Corrigan wrote:
>I think that if you spend any amount of time in chat rooms, you will
>find that those are more like the regular kinds of face to face OST
>meetings that we are used to. Mailing lists are asynchronous, which is
>an element that is a little bit present in a face to face OST meeting
>(people can comment on the news wall for example, or start other groups
>as a result of previous discussions).
>
>UseNet (the old pre-list internet discussion groups) and MetaNet is a
>lot more like a F2F OST meeting than this list is.

The interesting point is that I don't fell those things the same way you
do ;-)

My experience with IRC is limited, but my experience of Usenet is not
and I have been a few times at MetaNet.

My son is an "expert" in IRC... And I asked him to teach me. And, from
time-to-time, he calls me to see something and I stay with him for
sometime. And the feeling that I have is quite different from the profound
communication of an OST event. It seems to me that only short (normally
irrelevant) messages can be exchanged. And what is operating is not the
law of two feet (or equivalent) but a "cacophony".

In what concerns Usenet I agree partially with you, but I stopped
my participation there immediately after I have discovered the mailing lists,
and, later, thinking about the subject, I had to conclude that I found
mailing lists more appealing to me.

In what concerns MetaNet I disagree again. But that is probably because
I don't like to read long messages in the screen - and, at least if I want
to participate in a discussion, I need to print them and then read them
on paper. It is my limitation of course, but I have discovered that other
people have the same limitation.

Interestingly enough you have not referred WWWBoard's. I wonder if
anyone knows them and wants to share the sensation they had.

Regards

Artur