Is the OSlist an OS setting?

Artur Ferreira da Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Tue May 28 10:47:36 PDT 2002

Hello:

If you red my previous mail you probably think I will answer no.

But I am not so sure about that and would like to invite a discussion
about it. Let me first clarify why I am in doubt.

First, I think that mailing lists in general, and this one in particular,
are very similar to an OST setting and more similar than any other thing
I have experienced until now.

But you would say that many of my "presuppositions" don't apply here,
as, for instance, you can't see my volume (and only some remember it).
That's true. But my presuppositions only apply to real OST meetings...
What we need for different settings are adequate "equivalents".

The fact that I have entered in a room (thread) is obvious for every one,
including to those that are NOT in that room. And the fact that I have leaved
will become clear with some more time.

It is true that I can be in two rooms (threads) at (what seams to be) the
same time - but that is not a problem here as the time flows (subjectively)
at a lower rate here than in real and virtual settings.

Etc.

What do you think?

Best Regards

Artur