word from a friend

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Mon May 27 16:26:20 PDT 2002

Dear Tova and All,

My heart grieves for all who live in fear for their lives and the lives
of those they love.

I am sad for all who deliberately bring harm to others.

I hold dear to me all those who live in the volatile places of this
time, because I can see how the pain being borne in those places is
opening the way to a deeper understanding for all of us.

I hold especially dear those who live in those volatile places who have
the strength to seek a path out of the madness.  These are the great
heroes and heroines of our time....

....and then I hear your voice, Tova, saying you do not see yourself as
a heroine, that you are just living day by day.... and I think of those
I know here who bravely live their lives day by day, and I think I
understand what you mean.

Perhaps we are all heroes and heroines, all tugging forward, trying hard
to understand and to live our lives with strength, truth, and love.
Wherever we are, we face ourselves and we face others.  We choose how we
will respond to difficult situations.  We take risks, suffer losses,
celebrate gains, live, learn, and grow.  In each moment we each face
what is in front of us, and we make a choice.  In that, we are all the
same.

So, my dear friend, I think of you with fondness and gratitude because
you make loving, life-affirming choices in very difficult circumstances.
In a situation imbedded with fear, you find a way to respond with love.
Your ability to make that choice, and to keep making it, is inspiring to
those of us trying to make the same choice in less difficult situations.

Much love to everyone from this glorious sunny day in Fairbanks ~

Julie