[Fwd: Re: A Partial Diary of the Collective Buddha]

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Tue May 14 21:58:41 PDT 2002

In a message dated 5/14/02 9:51:15 AM, chris at CHRISCORRIGAN.COM writes:

<< There is also a sense I get that boundaries actually inspire creative
endeavour (just go and try to write a haiku; or reflect on why our first
poet laureate might have chosen a "Restricted Form" for our Biannual
poetry contests.. >>

Chris--

This is part of what I had in mind when I said that limits can enhance
creativity.  I do like your thoughts about truly filling a smaller space
rather than rattling around in a too-large space!  My friend and doctor told
me to buy the smallest-size suitcase for a trip, so I would not be tempted to
haul a lot of stuff I did not really need.  Think there is some wisdom here.

I've also learned from experience that haiku or some other very-structured
form can take me places in a poem that I would never get to in free verse
(which is usually my first choice).

Joelle