Peaceful themes....

BrendanMcKeague mckeague at iprimus.com.au
Thu Mar 21 05:51:41 PST 2002

Peggy wrote:

Not knowing much about the New Testament, your reference transported me to
something I read a few months ago.  It was an article by Walter Wink that
put Jesus' advice to "turn the othe cheek" into the context of his time.
Don't know if he said that during the Sermon on the Mount, not even sure if
it meets the distinction of nonresistance, but it made a big impression on
me and it seems to fit this topic.

Here's the link:
http://www.futurenet.org/20spirituality/wink.htm

Peggy - thanks for the reminder - I agree that Walter Wink has great
insights into Jesus as a radical nonviolent resister to the dominant
militaristic culture -  turning the other cheek in times of persecution or
oppression is about deliberately generating chaos -  in the mind and soul
of the persecutor - in this state of heightened chaos, Spirit has a chance
to emerge to consciousness - creating a confusion and, sometimes,
extinguishing the need for further violence....and then again, maybe
not...for it is the intention of 'the persecuted one' that leads the way
and opens up the possibilty of confusion - who knows what then will happen...

for me, in open space, the intentional exposure to chaos - when it is felt
by participants - similarly allows Spirit to emerge - I think Jesus would
have used it often...

Brendan