Peaceful themes....

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Wed Mar 20 14:49:07 PST 2002

Harrison, you wrote:

"It is certainly clear to me that my personal preparation prior to an
Open Space is intended to bring me to a point of clarity and focus,
which given my normal slovenly state would be considered an improvement,
if not "higher consciousness."  It is also clear to me that sustaining
this clarity and focus over time is my essential contribution to the
affair. All the rest the folks can and do take care of themselves."

Now some things I didn't understand before are becoming a bit clearer.
Goldsmith talks about receiving a request for a healing (usually over
the phone), immediately going into a meditative state, shifting to a
higher state of consciousness, and then after varying amounts of time,
feeling a sense of release.  At that moment, the healing is done, and he
moves on to whatever else calls to him.

That helps me understand the place of naps in OS.  :)  I must admit, I
haven't really understood that part of how you practice OS.   Using
Goldsmith's way of explaining things, you enter the meditative state,
hold the higher consciousness with the group until you feel the sense of
release, and then the healing is done.  At that point, your work is
completed, and the group will carry on as it needs to.  Since your work
is done, you internally move to whatever is calling you.  If what calls
to you is a nap, then that's probably just what is needed.   The point
is, to stay with the now.  In the moment that calls for higher
consciousness, do that.  In the moment that calls for a nap, do that.
Preconceived notions of what we "should" be doing just get in the way.

Does all that fit?  The piece I haven't heard you or others talk about
is that sense of release.  Does OS have moments like that?  If so, is it
after that sense of release that you find yourself shifting to other
needs and concerns?

Julie