FW: FW: Transfer in Process

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Thu Jun 20 09:51:21 PDT 2002

harrison and michelle,

also, i find that there are a number of hurdles that sponsors go
through... 'does this really work?'   'yes, but can it work here, with
*these* people?'  and then, 'what if nobody comes?'  and even after they
are all gathered, ready to go, 'what if nobody posts a topic?'
sometimes when the people linger at the wall after the opening
'shouldn't we do something to get this started?'  carrying right through
the opening and into the breakout sessions, 'some of the groups are not
taking notes! what should we do?'  'what if we don't get all the notes?'

i've seen the *main* or most common sticking point move over the last
several years, or maybe i've moved, hard to say... but where people used
to say 'it can't work' or 'our folks can't do this,'  they now ask a
question that's ever so slightly down-the-line from this... and it's
about retaining a keynote speaker -- just to make sure that everybody is
really ready to do this, warmed up, they say.  energized.  my goodness,
as if we're not all wired on networks and caffeine and adrenalin and
sugar and bliss and anything else we can smuggle into work!

to the extent that transfer-in sounds like 'warm-up' i want to steer
clear, because that leans into those questions about readiness and
doubts.  so i like the tuning fork image and harrison's thought here
too, just a few notes will do... walk the circle.  invite noticing.
perhaps even a simple 'ahem, we're about to change the world... '  and
then we're into the 'here's how' of the opening.

also, it occurs to me that 'transfer-in' would give rise to
'transfer-out,' no?   ...which seems to preserve the duality between
business as usual and business as open space.  but we know the two are
really the same, right?  so why transfer and where's in?

i guess the question this raises for me now is: 'can we get away with
apparently ignoring this apparent duality in organization, yet?'   if
not yet, then when, how, where?

a little musing, for what it's worth.  m