a first step from Rome

WB-TrainConsult wb-trainconsult at gmx.net
Thu Jun 13 23:34:34 PDT 2002

Glory,

I wanted to give a short answer. I was not able to do so.
So I do not post it to the list, but send it off-list to you.
Thanks again for your feedbacks to me.

Bernhard
------------

Glory and all,

It is long, because I usually do not yet understand clearly, what I
am writing about, so I explain to myself what I am thinking during
the thinking/feeling.

Several discussion threads of the oslist are oscillating around a
mental attractor:

"All things are one"

That is what Heraclitos wrote
It is one of the shortest and deepest poems I know.

For those, who already knew it, it is clear.
Those who try to understand it, need many words.
At least if socialized in occidental cultures.

Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy (ed. Edward Craig)
" His [Heraclitos] great truth is that 'All things are one', but this
unity, far from excluding difference, opposition and change, actually
depends on them, since the universe is in a continuous state of
dynamic equilibrium. Day and night, up and down, living and dying,
heating and cooling - such pairings of apparent opposites all conform
to the everlastingly rational formula (logos) that unity consists of
opposites; remove day, and night goes too, just as a river will lose
its identity if it ceases to flow."

And I am not shure, if this reflects full understanding.

Zen Buddhism found the direct way to jump over the obstacles of
logical, dualistic etc. thinking: 'just' sitting and meditating about
koans. But how to do that in an electronic list?

I am trying to use less words for many years now.
Sometimes I can do it.
Sometimes not.

Berhard
-----