How explain/demonstrate OS to Rotary, Kiwanis, Lions, etc.?

Fr Brian S Bainbridge briansb at mira.net
Thu Jun 13 19:40:53 PDT 2002

For Douglas German:
Broome, in Western Australia, is a long way from everywhere.  Pretty much an
outback town.
Their Rotary Club meets weekly on Wednesdays at 0630 for one hour.
I was known to be in town, and they asked me to yarn with them about "Open
Space".
I didn't do that.
But I did ask those assembled - maybe 20 persons - what matters they considered
were seriously important in their community right now which they would like to
chat about.
The item that they thought most important was the impact of people arriving
from other countries as refugees or whatever, and the pressure this was placing
on their communities in North Western Australia.
In a kind of circle, they explored that at great depth, seriously considered
the ramifications, were attacked by a capital city person visitor who thought
they were off the planet, and seriously enjoyed the opportunity to touch a
matter that mattered and that they would never otherwise have raised in a
Rotary Club meeting.  AND they ran overtime by more than half an hour.  That's
what passion can do.  AND they asked that, when I return there, would I be sure
to come and again open space for them.
Arguably, they have had some slight experience of Open Space, have enjoyed the
experience hugely, are positively disposed to anyone else who comes along and
talks about same in other organisation settings, and learnt something about a
topic which they would never otherwise have explored in that environment.
A few days later, at the Saturday Market, the wives of several of those
attending collared me and wanted to know how they could learn more about this
remarkable activity.
My two-penny-worth on this matter.
Cheers and blessings,   BRIAN.