Wasn't arrogance a sign of excessive Pro-active Organizations??

Meg Salter meg.salter at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 27 07:37:40 PDT 2002

Hello folks

OK - we've had Enron, Arthur Andersen, Nortel, Royal Bank of Canada being sued by Robobank of Holland... and now Worldcom. Is there a pattern here? Diddling the books, fraud, insider trading, covert actions vis. employees and shareholders? And most of all, really thinking that we/ they could get away with it! The arrogance that if we/they just worked hard enough, were smart enough, created enough complicated paper or electronic trails.... that nobody would find it out! That the rules were different for "leaders". (ref. Harrison's book, The Power of Spirit, Spiral Dynamics - orange meme, etc.)

And what about "us" (maybe not you personally, but as in us vs. them)? How are we part of the problem? Anyone who has a pension plan, a retirement plan, any kind of stock holding. Did we really think huge double digit returns were sustainable? How much of a blind eye did we turn when our pockets were bing nicely lined too? That we could somehow get a plum job out of the deal? Greed and attachment may be human failings, but enough is enough already!

SO, I wonder if we're at a turning point here? That the arrogance is beginning to smell. And what  can we do to help us all learn and move on, to help the spiral turn... in healthy fashion. I do a fair bit of work in corporate circles, and will continue to open space whenever I can. AND I would really appreciate any other ideas, what other folks are doing, your thoughts on the matter.

...with a frown and a smile!

Meg Salter

MegaSpace Consulting
Toronto, Canada