Wasn't arrogance a sign of excessive Pro-active Organizations??

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 27 14:56:42 PDT 2002

At 10:37 AM 6/27/2002 -0400, Meg Salter wrote:
>SO, I wonder if we're at a turning point here? That the arrogance is
>beginning to smell. And what  can we do to help us all learn and move on,
>to help the spiral turn... in healthy fashion. I do a fair bit of work in
>corporate circles, and will continue to open space whenever I can. AND I
>would really appreciate any other ideas, what other folks are doing, your
>thoughts on the matter.

Happenstantially my good wife said today, as we were sitting by our most
peaceful lake in Maine -- I think the world has reached a point of crisis.
Strange thought as the tranquil waters of Lake Megunticook lapped at our
feet. Strange, but true I think. Of course there have always been those
times of crisis, and even without them, folks have been calling that the
sky was falling. But this time, and for our time, I think she is right, and
so are you, Meg. We have been running a string which has come to the end.
Corporate greed is one aspect, but national greed, self interest and
blindness to the needs of others is another. But the source is the same I
think. Arrogance. Or in Bibilcal terms -- the sin of pride. Or if you would
rather be Buddhist -- how about attachment to outcomes (particularly MY
outcomes). Anyway you paint it, we do have a crisis on our hands. And of
course, the Chinese are right. Crisis is that wonderful mix of danger and
opportunity. There is no question about the danger -- but the opportunity,
I think, is even more exciting. Particularly for us who know something
about opening space. And of course, there is a responsibility too. I
believe we now know that every time space is opened, the organizations of
our world (at least that ones with some open space) has the possibility of
doing what they do best... Healing themselves. Just as all good
self-organizing systems do, including our bodies (despite what the medical
profession might say). So here we are folks -- with a feast of
opportunities, and the responsibility to take advantage of it all. Happy
munching.

Harrison

>Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive