About participating

Ralph Copleman ralph at earthdreams.net
Mon Jul 22 08:56:56 PDT 2002

Hi,

I generally no longer participate in spaces I'm asked to open.  My thinking
about this has always been influenced by what I understand to be solid group
dynamics research, but lately I've realized something else.

First, the apparent research results...  I'm told that the facilitator is
the authority figure in the room, and my experience repeatedly confirms
this.  As such, just entering a room often changes things because it
frequently triggers people's authority-relationship responses.  This doesn't
help people.  Specifically, I think, it closes space (or at least narrows
it), and this I do not want to do.

I think this is all true, but, lately, it's gotten much simpler for me: I
was not invited.

The message of OS/OST?  I could ramble on about this one for days, but I'll
boil it down to three words: I don't know.  But I do know this: it's the
same different message every time.

What are people up to this summer?

Ralph Copleman