self organizing systems and world peace

Jeff Aitken ja at svn.net
Mon Jan 28 22:44:26 PST 2002

Birgitt, please help me clarify your questions. I assume when you say Open
Space you mean "Open Space World" as Ward put it, or the "whole enchilada"
as Tom Robbins may have put it. The Universe.

So you would be asking, "if the Universe is a self organizing system, why
don't we have world peace?" And, "if the Universe is a self organizing
system, why do we facilitate OST meetings and thereby interfere?"

If these are fair ways to restate your questions, then I will try these

1. Many humans over time have forgotten that the universe is self
organizing, and have developed the power to interfere by controlling
(subjugating) the self organizing of life and of other humans. This gets in
the way of world peace.

2. OST practitioners work in places that have been interfered with, to help
them realize again their self organizing, and to help leaders relax their
assumptions and practices of control.

I notice that these responses reflect underlying assumptions about illness
and healing, evolution and balance, leadership and participation, etc.
Another way to respond might be:

1. This is as much world peace as the Universe has gotten around to; the
story is not over; it has a REALLY thick plot.

2. OST practitioners are just another manifestation of the self-organizing
Universe; nothing we do can possibly interfere in the self-organizing; OST
is not more self-organizing than anything else, but people like it, and
they pay us, so what the hell?

Great questions! Thanks!

Jeff

-