journalists in an OS

Winston Kinch kinch at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 22 06:00:24 PST 2002

Good to know the "whole story" on the US West situation.

My input was based on a quite different experience at an O/S space conference on spirituality and business (as I recall) sometime back in the last millennium, where a (supposedly similar) camera crew was introduced at the beginning of proceedings in what sounds like a similar way. In that case, my recollection is that there was quite a bit of discussion both during and afterward about the discomfort felt by a number of people and the "acting out for the cameras" behaviour in some cases, particularly where the crew was filming actual sub-group meetings.

So I think of possible reasons for the different "outcomes"...

- one was an intact group, the other not?
- the nature of the theme?
- the expertise and sensitivity of the crew?
- or perhaps the commitment to participants in US West that they would get to sign off on what they said and could demur from being filmed at all?

I tend to think it might be a little bit of all the above, especially the last one...

We should remember however that in neither of these cases were the recorders 'journalists', in the sense that in both situations there was editorial control over the output. I do not take it that that will be (if it hasn't already happened) the case for Tova...

In any event, good to have your additional information about US West, Peggy.

Winston