Self-Organization is What Consciousness (Spirit) Does

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 7 06:27:19 PST 2002

At 08:54 PM 1/6/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>I, too, wonder about how to open a space for dialogue between antagonists
>in an extreme conflict, such as supporters of the Palestinian cause vs.
>supporters of the Israeli cause. Right now, these groups stand on either
>side of a fence yelling at each other, which has nothing to do with
>anything constructive.

I guess the simple answer is -- Just like always. But in super Hi-conflict
situations things  that are just "useful" under more normal circumstances
become absolutely critical. In terms of a theme it must be something that
people really care about and not just something "safe." The theme must be
broad enough to allow for inclusion and focused enough so that people know
why they are coming. I find it useful to look for real hard/gut issues --
something like "Education of our Children" or "fixing roads" -- and not
something like "Bringing Love to Our land." Voluntary Self-Selection is
another "critical" -- if people feel forced to come, a bad situation
becomes worse. And if you never quite knew what "holding space" was -- you
will find out. It can be a real "white knuckle" trip -- but just hold tight
to the arms of a good solid chair, say and do nothing -- just "be" as
intensely as you can.

As for Israelis and Palestinians I have no personal experience, though ask
me in several weeks and that lack of experience will hopefully have
changed. However in other similar situations I have found that at the end
of the day people are people, and Open Space is open space.

Harrison

>Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA