New Year's gratitude from my daughter

Chris Corrigan corcom at interchange.ubc.ca
Wed Jan 2 00:42:03 PST 2002

Happy New Year folks.  You remember Aine, my daughter.  In September she
said something about feeding monsters that, along with the profound
collective forwarding power of the folks on this list, turned her into
an international celebrity ( http://www.chriscorrigan.com/aine ).  Well,
she's back, with a repeat utterance of truth and clarity that shook me
to my socks.

As we were gathering around our dining room table for the last meal of
last year, adorned as it is by a little Siberian silk painting that
Elena left there in August, we were giving thanks for all that was
important to us and that had happened in 2001.

Aine usually primes herself for these sorts of instantaneous essays by
uttering her usual beginning: "Thank you for the love, for the trees,
for the rocks..."  She uses those words to get going and fill time while
she dreams up the main event.  Being a 4.5 year old jazz musician, she
needs to prime the improvisational genius with a ritual recital of the
head.

So, after her standard vamp on the usual themes, she paused, a pregnant
opening that actually presaged what she was about to say, and said very
simply:  "Thank you space, for everything."

It was a statement that works of so many levels, that I am still reeling
from its significance.

Anyway, I offer it to all of you in the dark northern early days of
2002, as a kind of blessing/thank you for all that you, as a community,
continue to be.

Chris

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN