[Fwd: A User's NON-Guide (cover image is 100% virus free)]

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Wed Jan 23 17:26:04 PST 2002

sent this to the list a while ago, but nothing come through... other
messages, yes, but not this one. so i try again...

Dear Michael and Chris,

I have thoroughly enjoyed your book and I thank you for following your
passion to pull it all together. With this e-mail, I provide permission
to you
to use anything that I put onto the list in any way that is life nurturing.

I have a suggestion for a change in the introduction. I also offer to
you the possibility of including in the introduction a contribution by Martin
Leith of The Innovation Agency in London, England. I admire Martin’s
work on three worldviews and it is well worth acquainting yourselves with
and can be found at www.theinnovationagency.com

First—my suggestion regarding an editiorial change for clarity in the
last paragraph of the introduction that currently reads “Like Open Space
itself, this material is offered free of charge, for your use and
creativity with one simple request
”. “Open Space” itself was created by Prime
Creator. If you are referring to Open Space here, I would suggest that
you note that so that it is not confused with Open Space Technology,
developed by Harrison Owen. If you are in fact referring to Open Space
Technology, it is not free. People pay for any of the books to learn it,
they pay to attend training courses, and they pay to hire a facilitator
to facilitate an Open Space Technology meeting. It is true that we don’t
have to pay a franchise fee or equivalent to be allowed to use the methodology.

presented as a message from the editors, and while i have not talked
with my esteemed co-conspirator, i rather like it the way it is.
meaning both.  yes, there is the big open space of the creator, but i am
not inclined to distinguish that from our earthly practice of open space
technolgy. i understand the distinction is possible and consciously
choose not to make it.  as far as paying for open space, i don't believe
that paying is necessary.  if someone asked to pay less for the
trainings i hosted, they did.  i would ask them to pay for meals, etc.
also, there are libraries and people to talk to and listserves and many
many ways to learn the practice without paying anything.  so i do not
believe that open space technology costs anything.  that non-existant
certification, franchise fee, etc  is important i think.

As well, I am assuming that it is the Open Space Institute of the USA
that has copyrighted this book, rather than any of the other institutes. I
think that should be made clear. It is not the only Open Space Institute.

this and gave these 'rights' to 'open space institute.'  we didn't talk
much about the vagueness of that, but i did consciously choose that it
was not the osi-usa, specifically.  i should have been clearer and am
inclined to change it to 'open space institutes.'  thanks!

And now for Martin’s three worldviews:

Three Worldviews model:

Worldview 1, the world is a machine

Worldview 2, the world is an ecosystem (self-organizing systems fit here)

Worldview 3, the world is energy and consciousness (language becomes a
limitation here). Worldview 3 includes things that science cannot yet
explain, and things that it will never be able to explain.

Finally there's 'Beyond Worldviews' ... beyond concepts ... the realm
where all is one and nothing ... everything is, and isn't.

As I noted earlier, I admire Martin’s work and find his worldview model
an asset to understand different conversations regarding work with
organizations. If you follow his worldview model as you read this book
you have created, you might  find a teasing of your own worldview
throughout.

think in these terms all the time... all too familiar with the edges of
language, for instance...  and do check martin's weblife with some
regularity for the interesting things that happen there.

Blessings to you both,

Birgitt

--

Michael Herman