Ravens in Open Space

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Wed Jan 23 16:11:46 PST 2002

Greetings All!

I stopped at Wendy's Restaurant for lunch today.  As I sometimes do, I
drove to the theatre parking lot next door to eat my burger and munch my
fries.  Ravens careened and frolicked overhead.  As I expected, one
landed on the hood of my car at the closest point he could get to where
I was sitting, and calmly watched me munch and chew.  When I didn't make
an offering, he cozied up even closer to my window, his black feathers
puffed up around his head and his beady black eyes watching every move.
His buddy opted for a spot just within throwing range of my window.

As I used the law of four wheels to drive away, I thought of the passion
that takes me to that spot in the hopes of a "chance" visitor, and the
passion for food that brings them to me.  And then I thought there goes
another example of Open Space, Self-Organization, Free-Will, and
Instinct all wrapped up in one tidy package.  And then I couldn't
remember in what ways they are different, and in what ways the same.....

For a little while today, I played with ravens in open space.  :)

Julie