evaluation

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Fri Feb 22 10:46:44 PST 2002

i vote with peter block on this one.  for me evaluation heightens a
sense of separateness, from each other and from our own experience, that
i feel as totally opposite to what we are practicing in open space. the
evaluation should be constant.  'great why don't you take care of it.'
and 'what do you really want to do.'  makes me wonder if you could avoid
doing such formal evaluation (which also seems like opening the space
for problems) if you instead invited constant evaluation and improvement
of the meeting space and worked to try to capture all of the ways that
the program was indeed improved, by participants, as you went along.
probably it doesn't satisfy those set on finding some small amount of
good and bad in everything, but sometimes we do get away with these
little victories...

"(David Koehler)" wrote:

> Friends:
>
> Just a comment on the use of evaluations.  I don't like doing them or using
> them.  Peter Block a few years back did an interesting column about
> evaluations.  His basic feeling is don't waste your time.  Now that may be a
> bit harsh, but I would agree with him that feedback is best when it is
> spontaneous and timely.  Hopefully, in the environment of Open Space, people
> would feel secure enough to give honest feedback.
>
> One other point on the Closing Circle.  I view the Closing Circle, not as a
> time for evaluation so much, but as a time for reflection on the
> relationships and conversation of the experience.  If this tends to be more
> on the positive side, then I would say that's okay.  Open Space after all is
> a hope-filled experience where people are motivated by their passions.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave Koehler

> Visit:

Michael Herman